Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homework + supplies due 03.10.10

1. Collaboration project.

2. Post photos of your Narrative projects and in-class work to our flickr page.

3. Go to the lecture "From Lascaux Caves to Audocad: A History of Drawing" by Brett Littman, Executive Director of the Drawing Center.

Tuesday March 9, 2010
6:30 pm – 8:30 pm

The New School
66 West 12th Street
Room A510

Answer the following in your sketchbook and post here as blog comments:
-Which artwork(s) expanded your idea of what drawing could be?
-Were there any pieces that you disagreed with (you felt were not drawing)?
-What was your favorite artwork presented?

4. Supplies:
Bring at least 2 good sheets of paper to work on and a variety of drawing media (color is optional). We will be working from the model.

7 comments:

  1. Heather Weston

    A piece that expanded my vision of what a drawing could be is of Roxy Pain’s Drawing machine. Having thoughts and ideas translated by a computer, eliminating the human hand/touch.

    A piece that I disagreed as being a drawing is Diego’s wire piece. At first, I did believe that it was a drawing, from looking at the shadows the wire cast on the wall behind it. To me, the shadow was a linear drawing. But from Diego’s statement, and it apparently not being about the shadows, I changed my mind. The drawing was the study of space between the wall and the wire sculpture. For me, the study of space does not cut it as a drawing.
    I really enjoyed Kisler’s study for the “endless house.” The line work and use of ink was incredible. It was a very delicate piece that was presented; im sure there are thousands of these drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria Jimenez- response to the lecture

    Some of the pieces that expanded my ideas of what drawing could be, where the images shown of CAT scans and MRI’s, I would never imagine them as drawings as they are a photographic image of the structures of the brain and the bones, made by a machine. Also the Gego piece made of string and metal casting a shadow expanded my conception as he showed that the actual registration of shadow of the object becomes the drawing.

    The piece that I felt couldn’t be a drawing in my notion of drawing was the video of the birds flying, because he clearly stated that drawing is a mark being made by an artist or person. And in the flock of birds the mark is being made by the birds. To conceive it as drawing I would have to relate it only to the activity related to the environment.

    My favorite pieces shown I would say where he more conceptual based and contemporary to the meaning of drawing, such as the image shown of Gordon Metta Clark and how he created drawing by cutting the architectural spaces, I also enjoyed seeing the computer based work considered as drawing such as Silakas drawings becoming sounds, that use the drawings to create a reference code for the music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria Jimenez - response to lecture

    Some of the pieces that expanded my ideas of what drawing could be, where the images shown of CAT scans and MRI’s, I would never imagine them as drawings as they are a photographic image of the structures of the brain and the bones, made by a machine. Also the Gego piece made of string and metal casting a shadow expanded my conception as he showed that the actual registration of shadow of the object becomes the drawing.

    The piece that I felt couldn’t be a drawing in my notion of drawing was the video of the birds flying, because he clearly stated that drawing is a mark being made by an artist or person. And in the flock of birds the mark is being made by the birds. To conceive it as drawing I would have to relate it only to the activity related to the environment.

    My favorite pieces shown I would say where he more conceptual based and contemporary to the meaning of drawing, such as the image shown of Gordon Metta Clark and how he created drawing by cutting the architectural spaces, I also enjoyed seeing the computer based work considered as drawing such as Silakas drawings becoming sounds, that use the drawings to create a reference code for the music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maura Guyote--response

    My favorite piece was Joseph Beuys' blackboard from his lectures. I found a similar piece from him, if not the same one, in the MoMA collection online and its description notes that the drawing maps the "connections among myth, alchemy, astrology, anthropology, and the social and political sciences." I tend to be drawn to pieces that integrate academia, probably because I've always seen myself as both a nerd and an artsy kid. It reminds me of being in high school and the interplay between a doodle someone did on the board after school playing against the notes the teacher had just put up; except here, the teacher is the one who did the doodle too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gordon Matta Clark's cutting a teardrop shape through three floors opened my mind to what a drawing could be; although this piece could also be sculpture or installation, its interaction with planes and use of lines qualifies it as a drawing for me. It's interesting to think of the floors as sheets of paper, and the house is his collage.
    I question the opening footage that Mr. Littman showed of the starlings flying across the sky as a drawing. He mentioned later in the lecture that drawing is simply a way of man's making his mark on the world, so I do question the legitimacy of this footage as a drawing simply because man had no hand in it other than capturing it; I suppose that there is a growing market of "artist-less" art but this seems to take that a little too far. Despite this, the footage was still gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I liked Brett Lipman's use of the term "notation" when referring to the markings made in drawing. I felt it made a lot of sense to me and helped me see drawing in a more abstracted sense. So, for instance, the drawing in the paintballed-wall piece was plausible for me.

    2. It was hard to not see any of the artworks presented as drawings as basis behind the lecture made me want to believe that pretty much everything is a drawing. However, I did not like the paper pulp and magazine cut out collage pieces at all that were displayed at PS1, and probably thought of them less as drawings because of this.


    3. My favorite art piece was the "drawing" of sound, as in, producing sound through the drawing of lines in a special computer program. I thought that was very smart--Lipman said that the artist believed his method of music-making was a step up from composers who draw notes next to each other. It seemed really intuitive and I actually thought the music quite beautiful. (screeches/high pitched sounds)

    Elizabeth Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Day Le,

    Expanding my idea of drawing came from the "Free Radicals" film and the use of drawing to create music. Using film to document mark making would be moving drawings. I guess just animation. I didn't know that you could draw and allow for music to come of that. It takes drawing into different senses.

    I do not see MRI Scans as drawings, nor do I see photography as drawings either. Although it is documenting something I do not see it as mark making. This is too radical to be considered drawings. They are interesting in themselves but I do not see them as drawing. I just see them as photography and animation(esque).

    My favorite piece came from Gaygo, I think that's how you spell her name. She used wire to construct a composition. The shadow casted on the wall through specific relations between the piece and the light source. The idea of using shadow as a form of temporary mark making interests me. It reminds me of pieces that Richard Tuttle did with wire that essentially creates three drawings, the line, the wire and the shadow.

    ReplyDelete